20 rules for making money from P.T. Barnum MAR 22 2016
The American showman P.T. Barnum published a book of rules for making money called The Art of Money Getting. Here are the 20 rules from the book:
1. Don't mistake your vocation
2. Select the right location
3. Avoid debt
5. Whatever you do, do it with all your might
6. Depend upon your own personal exertions
7. Use the best tools
8. Don't get above your business
9. Learn something useful
10. Let hope predominate but be not too visionary
11. Do not scatter your powers
12. Be systematic
13. Read the newspapers
14. Beware of "outside operations"
15. Don't indorse without security
16. Advertise your business
17. Be polite and kind to your customers
18. Be charitable
19. Don't blab
20. Preserve your integrity
The book is also available in a convenient paperback format.
P.S. If you find it difficult to believe that this book was written by the same man who said "there's a sucker born every minute", then you'll be pleased to know that Barnum probably never said that.