Thanks to all those who

posted by Jason Kottke   Apr 12, 2000

Thanks to all those who responded to my fashion question yesterday. The answer I was looking for was supplied by Rafe and Loren: “à la page”. I couldn’t find anything further about the term on the Web (Google, for once, let me down), but it sure rings a bell. Other terms that people came up with were “monochromatic”, “tone-on-tone”, “really lame”, “subdued, high-class gangster cool” (if you’re Robert DeNiro in Casino), and “dressing

like Regis”. One person even wrote in to say that back in the day, a white shirt/tie/jacket/belt/shoes combination was called “a full Cleveland”. That one is my favorite…and, curiously, documented on the Web (scroll halfway down the page).