A friend of mine and  APR 29 2000

A friend of mine and I were discussing phrases like "artsy fartsy" and "hoity toity" and wondering a) if that sort of rhyming phrase had a name, and b) if there were more of them that we didn't know about. I should have known the answers were available on the Web. Words like that are called reduplicates and some of my favorites (found here, scroll down to the bottom) include dilly-dally, fuddy-duddy, higgledy piggledy, hurly-burly, and namby-pamby.

Related to reduplicates is Cockney rhyming slang, one of my favorite "features" of the English language. I'd start using it in daily conversation, but I fear that no one would know what the hell I was talking about, which, according to the explanation of what Cockney rhyming slang is, was probably the point.


Front page
About + contact
Site archives


Follow kottke.org on Twitter

Follow kottke.org on Tumblr

Like kottke.org on Facebook

Subscribe to the RSS feed


Ads by The Deck

Support kottke.org shop at Amazon

And more at Amazon.com

Looking for work?

More at We Work Remotely

Kottke @ Quarterly

Subscribe to Quarterly and get a real-life mailing from Jason every three months.



Hosting provided EngineHosting